Top Gift Ideas for the Senior in Your Life
Shopping for a senior loved one can sometimes be challenging. If you are stumped over a gift for a senior in your life, here are some ideas to help you find something that will bring a smile to your loved one’s face. Sometimes it’s hard to choose the right gift for an aging parent, grandparent or loved one. After all, they’ve had a lifetime of gifts and often have a different perspective on life than you may have. Fortunately, we have some great gift ideas to help get you started…
- Talking Watches and Alarms: For seniors with vision problems, a talking watch from MaxiAid gives your elder loved one control over their alarms and reminders. Available in ditigial, analog, chrome or comfortable fitting rubber bands. Alarm clocks, like Reminder Rosie, are another great gift that sets voice alarms for your loved one in your own voice. Imagine mom hearing your voice telling her it’s time to take medication or fix lunch.
- Blankets and Throws: While this may sound obvious, you can’t go wrong with a cozy blanket or throw — and there are so many custom options available these days! Whether you’re a talented quilter who can create a homemade masterpiece, or you prefer to customize with a heartfelt photo throw from Costco or Shutterfly, this is a gift option that will warm the soul along with the aging body.
- Fashionable Compression Socks: Nurses who spend all day on their feet love them, and so will the senior in your life. These fun and fashionable compression socks and tights will help your loved one’s circulation, put a spring in their step and a smile on their face.
- Custom Gift Basket: Gift baskets add the personal touch to practical products. So whether you create a care basket that includes slippers with your loved ones’ favorite lotions, bath soaps, cologne or perfume, or would rather create a custom food basket of your loved ones favorite meats, cheeses chocolates or sauces; a gift basket balances practicality with custom personality and love.
- Tablets and iPads: These all-in-one devices are in many ways tailored for seniors with their touch-screen technology and large print options. The social connection is important for elders, and you might be surprised how savvy your senior loved one can be with a quick tutorial on both Kindle Fire and customizable iPads. There are also simplified tablets like GrandPad – good for entertainment, connecting with family and brain-exercising fun, this impressive technology is an excellent option for aging loved one.
- Lap Desk: A lap desk fits most chairs and allows your loved one to writer letters, read and relax for dinner from virtually anywhere in the home. Portable and sturdy, lap desks are a great gift for seniors who wanto be a part of the conversation but may lack a bit of mobility.