PSA from the Federal Trade Commission

PSA from the Federal Trade Commission:

The Federal Trade Commission has a new tool for victims of identity theft. Now, people can report tax-related identity theft directly to the IRS online at

Tax-related identity theft happens when someone steals your Social Security number, files a tax return, and claims your refund. You might find out about it when you try to e-file — and learn that someone already submitted a return — or when the IRS sends you a letter saying it received a suspicious tax return with your Social Security number. If that happens, you need to file an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, which you can do at ( in Spanish) is secure and free to use. This blog post tells more about how the site works.