Personal Injury and Workers Compensation Settlements

We consult with trial attorneys about how best to structure settlements if the injured person will need (or may need) public benefits such as Medical Assistance, SS, or public housing to meet basic needs. We like to be involved early to help all parties and their counsel develop a plan for protecting the settlement proceeds and maximizing government benefits. We also help claimants and dependents to explore alternatives to special needs trusts and structured settlements. If a trust is required, we advise regarding the need for court approval or establishment of certain trusts and work in conjunction with the trial lawyers to get proper approval of the settlement.